Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Watch Hill, RI

We went to Watch Hill, RI for the day with Aunt Karen and had a fun filled day.  We explored the beach - and for the record, the water is MUCH colder than it is on the Alabama coast!
 
 
 This was the view from our beach blanket - Watch Hill light house.
 We also took a break to ride the Flying Horse Carousel, which is just off the beach.  It is the oldest carousel in the country -- dating to 1893.  It's really beautiful, and the horses have "hair" for their manes, with some of which was actually braided.
 
One thing that made it extra fun for Savannah was that the kids on the outside horses can lean toward the outside (which looked a little scary because the carousel goes really fast!) and grab silver rings as they go around. Each time a kid would grab a ring people would cheer, and the kids stacked the rings up on the horses ears, which Savannah was doing in the picture below.  It had such an old world charm.
Gage stuck to the inside horse this time, but loved it.
 This is the sign to the beach -- love that it's called the Watch Hill Bathing Beach. Again, I love that they keep the history alive :-)
After flying on the horses, we walked up to the light house, and these are some of the sights along the way.
Ocean House (below) is a big hotel that sits on a bluff over the beach. I loved that there were guys dressed all in white playing croquet on the grounds.  Ahhh New England...I love your quirky ways.
 This is just one of the beautiful "cottages" along the walk to the lighthouse - probably costing millions of dollars. For the record, if I ever win the lottery, that is the kind of house I want :-)
 Beautiful garden with a twig fence
 Gage had to peek in and check it out
 Looking back toward the beach from lighthouse road, the road was lined with roses that seem to grow everywhere near the beach in New England. I learned, however, that the rose hips are called "beach plums" and you can make jam from them!
 
 
 This is Aunt Karen and Savannah walking up the path, with Taylor Swift's house in the background.