Monday, June 16, 2014

Mule day

Reading the paper this morning...and I see that it's the 26th annual Mule Day and Chickenfest in a town about 30 min away. Well, we HAVE to go to that, now, don't we?!?  

First up, a fun old police car.
Next up...tractors! Gage thought grandpa pauly wouId appreciate these!


Next, we came upon a some hound dogs. Blood hounds...coon hounds...hounds of all kinds. This guys name was Boceifus ...I bet he has quite a howl on him!
Then..we saw a sign for the old gordo jail. We anxiously rounded the corner and found this!
But...we asked and we were directed to the real old jail. It even has a sign. I was expecting a real OLD cell. Built in 1914, this had to be good...
Hmmmmm...this is it!? It's now someone's office. Not quite what we were expecting!!!! But, hey, these random things are what keep our little adventures interesting, right?
Next up....the mule parade! We got some shaved ice, found a shady spot, and waited for the main event!

There was a tractor parade an hour later...so we passed the time by riding the  most defunct looking carousel I have ever seen! You could not pay me to get on the other rides! They looked like death traps!

We could not wait a whole hour for the tractor parade. It's 88 with a real feel of 103 today..dripping with humidity. We were melting! But, as we got to our car...the parade started. So, we enjoyed it from the icy cold a/c in our car...as we guzzled cold drinks that I thankfully packed In a cooler.  

I couldnt help wondering how long this old fellow has owned this tractor. This is a Farming town...half the men there were wearing overalls. I have a feeling he's been driving that john Deere for a long time :-)
We liked the "piggy back ride seat" on this one!
This was a true, small town, southern festival. The only thing that was shocking was that they were selling roasted peanuts instead of boiled peanuts (which look like little cat turds, and taste like them too!).