I gave in to the Elf on the Shelf this year. The day after Thanksgiving, the kids were playing upstairs and I yelled for them. When they came down I told them an elf had just been at the door asking for them. They looked outside and found a wrapped package that had a book and a dvd about the Elf on the Shelf, and our own elf was sitting on the curtain rod. No one knows how he got there. Turns out this little guy is Santa's scout to watch and see if the kids are good or naughty. He watches during the day and flies back to report to the big man at night. In the morning, the kids race to find where he has hidden himself that day.
Well, Snowy Reindeer (the name they came up with) is a bit mischievous. His first morning here, we found him taking a mini marshmallow bath with 2 naked Barbies in the bathroom sink. He was also found sitting on top of the fridge drinking syrup from the bottle with a straw. We even found him sitting on the framed pictures, where he had colored mustaches and ears and beards on all of the pictures of the kids one morning - he is LUCKY that marker wiped off. Today, he has is hiding in our tree with our pixie sitting on his lap. Savannah seems to be on her best behavior and is always aware that the elf is watching. Gage. I think he's getting coal this year. He doesn't care if the elf is watching.