Monday, January 14, 2013

reading & writing

Savannah is reading and writing like crazy. As we drive around she reads words on signs and says "Mom, I just read that!" as if she can't believe it herself.  One of the assignments she often does at school is to draw a picture about a story they read, and answer a question about the story.  I think what I love most is that she will try to spell anything -- like "notist" (noticed).  I love when I have to sound a word out to figure out what it was she was writing (her spellings of poinsettia and branches threw me for a loop around Xmas time!).  

She has really taken off with reading and writing. Her penmanship is getting so much better and I love that she reads books to ME now.  When she comes home with a sticker on her writing work (like she did with this one), it means that her teacher sent her to show (and read) her work to another person in the school (the principal, bookkeeper, secretary, other teachers), and that person gave her a sticker for doing such good work. I walked in the office one day and she was in there -- reading to Mrs. Judy the secretary! She LOVES when her teacher sends her to go show off her work.
p.s. you can click on the picture below to make it bigger if you can't read it