Monday, March 18, 2013

crazy storm

Today we had a severe thunderstorm warning, but it looked like it would hold off enough to get Savannah at the bus. So, as Gage and I stood at the bus stop watching the clouds in the distance, everything changed in an instant and suddenly we were running home and hiding in the hideaway and I peeked out the door for Savannah's bus.  Turns out, school kept them until 4:15 because the weather was terrible, but they did not text me until 3:05 (30 minutes after school lets out!!). So, Gage and I hunkered down and watched the mayham outside.  Her teacher called me after the automated school messages to let me know that they were all safe & happy in the classroom.

We had some serious straightline winds come through. Check out the cloud of red dirt that was blowing across the road!  You can click on the picture to make it bigger. I think I saw the wicked witch and some ruby slippers blow by with some leaves/debris/ shutters, etc!!!The picture does not do justice to the crazy wind that was going on today.
Gage hid in the hideaway, I watched the radar and listened to the weather radio -- fully expecting a tornado, which thankfully did not occur.   Turns out, we lost a tree (sadness).
Unfortunately, the tree took out the main line for our sprinkler system and water was spraying everywhere.  I called in my landscaper neighbor to help me turn the main water line off.  So, we are without water for the entire house until we get that hooked back up tomorrow. You can see the water line ran right through the tree roots.
Our swingset blew over...
shutters and screens blew off our house
our patio funiture was blown into a pile, and our table was blown OFF the deck! I found our umbrella in the yard, and our gas grill was blown into the middle of the deck!!
and...now I have a lot of cleanup to manage before we leave for CT. Adam is in Greece, and he's Skyping me every few minutes to check on us -- I think it's killing him to be so far away when all this happens.  
 
I think we have some friends lined up to help cut the tree up and clear it so it doesn't sit for 2 weeks before Adam gets home!