Monday, April 22, 2013

campfire

Saturday was a busy day.  It was the "A-day game" here at the university, which is a spring scrimmage game that is open to the public for free.  We didn't go to the game, but we did go to an A-day cookout. Then, we went to a birthday party at a bouncy-house place where the kids went CRAZY for a few hours.  It was such a beautiful day I thought we should have a campfire and cook marshmallows out back.  I announced that this would be a great idea in front of the kids, which meant that Adam had NO choice but to go get a fire going. I'm not sure if he wanted to or not.  When I got out there, I saw that he only took 3 campchairs out (and he took them out of there back of my car where there were 2 adult chairs and 2 kid chairs!), so I take that as a hint that we was not all that thrilled about the campfire plan ;-)
 We didn't have big marshmallows, so we used peeps.  Moments after taking this picture I told Savannah I needed to check the peep and see if it was melty and she somehow swung it right into my hand. Well, it was definitely melty, and the scorching marshmallow got stuck all over my fingers and of course being sticky, couldn't come off. So, I ran screaming in the house to wash my burning hand off. I now have about 15 small blisters covering my fingers and slept with my hand on a bag of ice. Fun :-)
Gage was very cautious about the fire, but Savannah was gathering sticks and adding them to the fire.
Adam even taught her how to break a big stick in half using her knee for leverage. I love watching those small "life lessons" :-)
As with so many of those kid "moments", it turned out that everyone ended up tired and whining. They were cold, they were tired, there were bugs, they wanted to go inside. Ugh. So, in we went. Where, after their busy day, they crashed out cold in a matter of minutes, exhausted :-)