Saturday, April 20, 2013

Clowning around

Last week at Gage's preschool, they talked about occupations.  This week, they talked about the circus.  I think the funniest thing was a flyer that his teacher sent home that explained how there was such a nice transition between the two weeks, because they could talk about circus workers as a type of job. Hopefully Gage chooses another occupation than circus worker!  He is usually "resistant" to getting dressed up at school. If it doesn't involve dressing like a superhero, he is not interested. But, this time, I started hyping up the circus dress up day, and he said that he would dress as a clown.  This is the best we could do -- mismatched striped shirts, a spiderman hat, and a purple Clemson crazy hair wig. 
We tried to add one of daddy's ties, and a few other accessories, but he was not interested. So, I figured we would just go with it.  He was very worried that people would laugh at him, but I assured him that everyone would think he looked great, and if anyone laughed it was only because clowns are silly, not because they were laughing at HIM.  His teachers were very excited that he dressed up at ALL.  When I picked him up, he had  a certificate saying that he participated in the circus, and told me that he had a great day (that the day seemed to go by very fast), that he finished his painting of a circus tent for me even though he was really tired of holding the paintbrush because he "wanted to have something very special to give to his best mama," and that the best part of the day was making "popcorn" with the parachute.