Saturday, September 15, 2012

Riding the school bus

Before school started, Savannah decided that she wanted me to drive her to school rather than ride the school bus.  I agreed, because (a) she seems so little to be sending off on the school bus, and (b) her school is only a few miles away, so I figured dropping and picking her up would be easy.  I was wrong. There are 3 school zones in the 4 miles to school, and traffic is terrible. So it takes me 30 minutes to drive 4 miles. Two weeks ago she started telling me that she wants to ride the school bus.  The school is only K-2, so there are no "big" kids to worry about bullying the little kids. Also, her bus ride takes about 10-15 minutes. So, we signed her up for the bus. Daddy was home that first morning, so the whole family walked her to the bus stop. She was VERY excited about walking to the bus.
 and waiting at the bus stop (which is just on the otherside of our neighbor's house)...we worked on her remembering her bus #, which we made a rhyme for "118 don't be late"....
 ...and she was jumping up and down as the bus came over the hill.  Her bus drive (Mr. Tom) introduced himself and she climbed on. But, I have to say, she looked a little uncertain as she started walking down the aisle. The bus looked much more full than it does in the afternoon (when we see it drive by us as we wait in the pick-up lane at school).  So, I was curious to find out if she was happy about this bus riding decision or not....
...that afternoon when we asked how it was, she replied "I LOVE THE BUS!". She said she made a new friend already, she sat with a little girl who said "Hi Savannah", so she seemed so excited that the girl knew her name.  She also told me the most fun part is that the bus bumps along so she bounces on her seat with no seatbelt and she "even hit her head on the seat in front of her".  Exciting stuff!  So, now she is thrilled that she is a bus rider. Mommy is excited that I don't have to leave the house at 2:15 to pick her up at 2:45, and that I don't have to sit in that traffic every morning from 7:15 - 8:00!!  Instead, Gage & I just stroll down to the bus stop. He smooshes ants and throws rocks down the drain. It's only a matter of time before he loses a toy (like Lightening McQueen) down that drain adn it's gone FOREVER..mark my words.....