Savannah loves the Magic School bus. Somehow, Santa knew that and bought her a MSB science experiment kit about the human body.
Tonight, we finally got to our first few experiments. She formed a hypothesis about how synovial fluid helps a ball & socket joint to move smoothly, by taping a paper "bone" onto a ball (ping pong ball), greasing it up with veggie oil, and setting it into a little plastic socket to see what happened (it moved more smoothly). We also stretched tubing along a hinged leg to see how your muscles contract and relax to help move your bones. Looks like we need some more material for the next experiments -- I saw a chicken bone and 2 liter bottles listed in the material needed for the next experiments!
I have to say -- I never expected a 5 year old to be interested in doing human body science experiments.One thing Savannah is not, I think, is your "average" 5 year old! Thank goodness we got her out of the Baptist preschool that actually tried to "teach" (I use that word loosely) about her how her heart works by telling her that "God recycles your blood through your heart." Yeahhh....what a way ridiculous way to "educate" our little people! I made sure to explain what is really happening in her heart. I'm so happy that since she is actually interested in anatomy and biology, we have fun "tools" like this to help her dig deeper and keep her interested, but still lets her "play"! I'm kind of hoping that the soda bottle experiment will be for us to mimic the digestive system eating up some food - that would be cool!
We'll keep you updated.
And Gage will just keep eating.