Sunday, May 5, 2013

hatching butterflies

We are hatching painted lady butterflies again this year and after days of watching those chrysalids, we saw our first butterflies hatch!! Actually, I walked in and saw their habitat on the floor and saw 3 butterflies inside. Smidge was nearby, so I wonder if she was involved in the habitat laying sideways on the floor?!?  May have to lock these butterflies in a safe room to keep them away form the cats! I seem to remember having this problem the last time we did this.
 Gage was super excited! 
 We yelled for Savannah to come in, and then we had to run (literally RUN) to the garden to pick some zinnias for them, cut up some oranges, and mix up some nectar. 
One more has hatched today, and we have loved watching them unfold their wings and stretch their legs, tongues, and antennae, and flap their wings for the first time. So amazing.  We have one more that we are still checking on.