Thursday, May 2, 2013

zoo field trip

Yesterday was the day Savannah has been looking forward to for months -- her class field trip to the zoo!  She's been singing a song "we're going to the zoo zoo zoo..how about you you you...you can come too too too" for weeks!  Adam is out of town in DC (he was asked to be a keynote speaker at one of a big sales training company), so I got our babysitter to stay with Gage so I could go. 

Her teacher insisted we were staying together as a group (although none of the other teachers asked that parents stay together), which was chaotic and difficult to manage. Parents were losing kids, and if anyone stepped away to the restroom, they couldn't find us anymore. I noticed some parents mysteriously "vanishing" so we decided to pull our own vanishing act at the first chance we got.  So, we snuck off and hung out with just a few of her friends similarly rebellious parents ;-)
 Feeding the lorikeets was fun at first, until one of them bit savannah and she had a big 'dent' in her hand. So, the tears ensued.
 BUT...I distracted her by putting her in charge of the camera.She took some nice pictures, but she also took a picture of this bird's butt?!?! 
 One cool thing we did was explore the new dino exhibit.   They have a trail though wetlands that is now populated by animatronic dinosaurs!!!  They were moving and making noise...
 This little one was trying to bite her finger off ;-)
 she was actually a little scared of this big t-rex!
 and as we rounded the corner at the end, there was a sign that said "beware..spitting dinosaurs ahead".  She faced off with this guy...and waited...giggling...until...
 He got her!!!!! Of course that was HUGE fun. so we hung out so she could be sprayed over and over again for a while until she was soaked. 
It was long day, and since she was with all of her buddies...she was going nuts.  She was exhausted by the time we got home.  And so was Gage. I gave our babysitter our membership card for the kid's museum, so they spent the day there, went out for ice cream, etc. He was zonked too. They were both asleep before 8:00. And, since Adam wasn't home, I was also asleep by 8:30 ;-)